So, you’ve bought your campervan or you’ve got a converted camper. You may have reclassified with the DVLA and now have a fully-fledged Motor Caravan.

Now what?

Well, you could travel the length and breadth of the UK, or you could travel through some of the most scenic places throughout Europe.

With Brentacre, you could get a campervan endorsement on a campervan insurance policy which allows up to 365 days’ worth of European travel, so why not get out there and use it?

Where Shall I Go?

Like your normal beach holidays, there are some solid favourites for campervan holidays.

The most popular places are:

  • France
  • Belgium
  • Germany
  • Switzerland
  • Austria

Of course, some of these places you can’t get to without driving through the other. You have a huge list of places you could visit and may not be in a position to do all of that in one trip, but that’s the beauty of having a campervan. You can just pack your bags, jump in and off you go. Just make sure you inform your insurer/broker that you’re travelling to make sure you’re covered.

Summer Sun Campervan Run!

You don’t have to jump on a plane to get to the sun, you can get some fantastic weather by hopping (or driving) onto a ferry and heading down to the South West. For an itinerary spanning 28 sun basking days, click here. Just be sure to pack the sun cream.

What do I do if I have an accident in Europe?

Unfortunately, it’s not always fun and games.

In the event of an accident, the rules are the same as if you were in the UK. Give your insurer a call firstly to make them aware of what’s happened. Depending on the nature of the accident, your insurer will then advise of your next steps, whether the vehicle is still able to run and is safe to do so or whether the vehicle is unable to move under its own steam.

The same applies for theft and damage caused by it. Again, call the insurer and they’ll be able to advise of what to do next or where you can get repairs done depending on how the theft occurred. You may be covered for temporary hotel rooms if the vehicle is not driveable or liveable.

Europe is littered with fantastic camping spots and we would advise having official places or camper spots to stay on route as you don’t want to get in trouble for parking up and staying in a restricted area.

Always do your research! There will be some places that you can just park up and stay for a while. Places you can stay at are signposted and will usually be in the language of that country so, as a heads up, here’s what you’re looking for at popular locations:

Spain & Portugal: Area de servicio para autocaravanas
France & Belgium: Aires de Service
Germany, Austria & Switzerland: Stellplatz
Italy: Area di sosta
Norway: Bobils

Go forth, explore, have fun, make memories and show us your travel photos!